Wednesday, 20-September-2017 08:28
 
comments in
"Yemenis abroad"
Woman gives birth as son dies in same hospital
On Thursday afternoon, she remained in the hospital, oblivious, he said: "I don't want to tell her." ...
Yemenis abroad
Saturday, 29-October-2005
Michael Wilson and Janon Fisher - NEW YORK - At Jamaica Hospital Medical Center on Thursday, a woman gave birth to a son, delivered by Caesarean section. She did not know that during her recovery, elsewhere in the same hospital, she lost her oldest child, a 19-year-old deli worker who had been shot behind the counter by a man in a mask.

The 19-year-old man, Yaser Saleh, was shot in the stomach on Wednesday night in a Springfield Gardens deli by an unidentified man who witnesses believe argued with Saleh last week over something that seemed trivial: the man had been short a quarter for a 79-cent candle, and the cashier would not give it to him.

There was no arrest in the case on Thursday, while the dead man's family prepared for a week of traveling, literally, between a cradle and a grave. advertisement




Family members said his mother delivered her 7.5-pound baby boy, named Mohamed, at 5 a.m. It was her and her husband's fifth child. Yaser was the oldest, and there are a son and two daughters in between. The family was from Yemen.

After Saleh was shot, paramedics took him to Jamaica Hospital, where his mother was still recovering from the surgery. He lingered for 11 hours, dying one minute before 8 a.m., the police said.

On Wednesday night, the victim had been on the telephone with his grandfather, taking advantage of a quiet moment in the store, said another deli worker, Ali Abdul, who saw the shooting from behind the deli case where he was making a sandwich.

The gunman entered the Farmers Deli, at 142-01 Farmers Blvd., at 9:15 p.m., and shot Saleh once in the stomach and once in the left arm, the police said. The assailant was dressed all in white and wore a mask or a T-shirt to cover his face, witnesses said. He left, taking nothing, the police said.

"He didn't say nothing," Abdul said. "He didn't talk nothing."

Saleh's father, Abdo Saleh, retelling his son's account, said the dispute began last week when the man tried to buy the 3-inch candle but was 25 cents short. "He told me somebody came into the store, tried to buy a candle," Saleh said. The man became enraged and smashed the candle on the floor, he said. "He told him, 'I'm going to come back and shoot you.' " His son shrugged it off: "He didn't take it as a serious thing."

Later that day, the same man returned and stole a soda, Abdul said.

Yaser Saleh attended high school in Dearborn, Mich. He married in 2001 in the Yemeni town of Ibb, and returned to the United States. He had a 6-month-old daughter named Kamer, and his wife is two months pregnant with their second child. He planned to earn his GED and perhaps pursue a college degree, his family said.

On Wednesday night, after he was shot, Saleh called to Abdul. "Yaser said: 'You have to call the ambulance. You have to call the police,' " Abdul said. He tore off his friend's shirt and saw the bullet hole near his sternum, and what looked like an exit wound. "I see blood coming from his back," he said.

Faisal Hussan, 20, another worker in the store, said the gunman's features were further obscured by a white hood. "He just shot him," he said in Arabic on Thursday. "He just killed him." The victim's father said the police took videotapes from a surveillance camera in the store. The police said they have not identified a suspect.

A woman in the store, who said she was known in the neighborhood as "Mom," said Saleh was well-liked, even though he had not worked there long. He had taken the shift on Wednesday evening for another worker who was observing the Ramadan holiday. "He's a sweet kid," she said. "Whenever I came in, he'd say, 'Mom, I love you.' No one deserves to be killed like that."

Hector Chambers, who lives near the store, called Saleh "a pleasant, pleasing person," and added, "Him my peaceful brother."

The victim's father said his mother was still recovering from the surgery. "She had the baby, had an operation, and she lost her oldest son," he said Thursday. He did not mention his wife's name to reporters.

On Thursday afternoon, she remained in the hospital, oblivious, he said: "I don't want to tell her."
Comments:
(Guest)
18-11-2005
On Thursday afternoon, she remained in the hospital, oblivious, he said: "I don't want to tell her." On Thursday afternoon, she remained in the hospital, oblivious, he said: "I don't want to tell her." On Thursday afternoon, she remained in the hospital, oblivious, he said: "I don't want to tell her." On Thursday afternoon, she remained in the hospital, oblivious, he said: "I don't want to tell her."

More from "Yemenis abroad"

Other titles:
Thursday, 24-August-2017
Saudi aggression's warplanes waged five raids on Serwah district of Marib province overnight, an official said on Thursday.

The strikes targeted al-Moqadra and al-Rabiah areas in the district.
Thursday, 24-August-2017
Hundreds of thousands of Yemenis descended Thursday (Aug 24) on Sanaa in a major show to celebrate of the 35th anniversary of the General People's Congress (GPC) founding anniversary.
The rally marking 35 years since the founding the General People's Congress (GPC).
The streets of the capital, waving the blue flag of the GPC and carrying pictures of Saleh the leader of GPC.
Wednesday, 23-August-2017
At least 71 citizens were killed and wounded by warplanes from the Saudi-led aggression coalition on Sanaa province early on Wednesday morning, a security official said.
The air strikes hit a hotel in Bait al-Edhari area in Arhab district,
Wednesday, 23-August-2017
Saudi aggression warplanes launched seven air strikes on Saada province overnight, an official said on Wednesday.
The targeted places were the regular road in Al-Sheikh area of Monabah district, Alhbrah area of Razeh district, the directorate of Al-Taher and Shada directorate.
The strikes severely damaged civilian properties, said the official.
Wednesday, 23-August-2017
The missile units of the army and popular forces fired a ballistic missile, Zilzal 3, on gatherings of Saudi-paid mercenaries in Nehm district of Sanaa province, a military official said on Wednesday.

The missile hit the targets accurately, causing large losses upon the mercenaries , the official added.
Tuesday, 22-August-2017
Saudi warplane launched ten raids on different districts of Saada province, an official said on Tuesday.

The warplane hit al-Atfain area of district of Kutaf four times and waged six other raids on Thuaban area and the main way in Baqim district.
Tuesday, 22-August-2017
Armed forces' spokesman Brigadier General, Sharaf Luqman said the army and popular forces have provided the greatest sacrifices to defend the homeland against Saudi-led aggression forces, stressing on maintaining the internal unity.

In a press statement on Monday, Luqman said that the historical steadfastness and the cohesion of the Yemeni people represent the first defense line against the aggression states.
Monday, 21-August-2017
The Saudi aggression warplanes launched two air raids on the capital Sanaa overnight, an official said on Monday.

The raids targeted September 21 park, causing serious damage to the citizens' homes and public and private properties, the official said.
Monday, 21-August-2017
Saudi aggression warplanes targeted a house of Sheikh Saleh Bin Thiabah, director of Khub and Shaf district in Jawf province, an official said on Monday.

The official said that the warplanes targeted the house by two air raids in the area of Thalwth local market which totally destructied it.
Monday, 21-August-2017
The Saudi fighter jets launched two raids on Harib al-Qaramish district of Marib province, an official said on Monday.

The strikes hit al-Hazam area, leaving heavy damage to

who we are     |    Advertising     |    contact us
All rights reserved © Almotamar Net, Developed by